Coolone fortuitously reminded me this past week that winter will be here in a scant few months, after which priming models will be nasty. As such, I’ve started putting together more of my models to get them to the point where they’re ready to prime, so over the winter I’ll have plenty of models to work on without needing to prime new ones. This Librarian on bike is one of the models I’ve been planning for some time but just now have been able to get him together. Tried out some of my new gray stuff on him as well, and was pretty happy with it.
This week I finished up the green stuff gap-filling/line-filling. I’ll fully admit I didn’t do a great job except on the captain (rightmost in picture), but you won’t be able to tell much once they’re painted. Spray-primed them black the other day, and then today airbrushed the silver on (so much faster and so much less paint than doing it by hand). Wouldn’t airbrush infantry– too much of a hassle, I think, but bikers are just big enough that it’s worth it.
Just a quick update; this was supposed to go up yesterday, but I got distracted with my first Skyrim playthrough… Still working on that guy I stripped last week. Got the base all drybrushed and the silver and blue basecoats down. Also finished putting the sand on the remaining bikers.
Started basing the bikers! Getting the glue into all these crevices is a bit annoying, so I’ll be doing these a bit at a time over the next couple of days.
I started playing 40k back in 1999, and my painting skill has improved substantially since then. I have two tactical squads that were painted around when I first got started, and they make it into almost every game I play. It’s kind of embarrassing, because they represent the very bottom of my skill level, and I field them all the time. So I’ve been itching to do something about that, and today I’m taking that first step. For posterity, I’ve taken some pictures for comparison.
He’s taking a bath now, and will come back before too long, hopefully with a much better paint job.
Finally got these guys done. Had to do a bit of conversion work to get some of them to come off right. The guy I bought these from on eBay sent me two sergeants. Fortunately, I’d already gotten a Raven Wing command squad box to do my captain on bike, so I had an extra biker I could substitute in for the sixth. The bike and legs for the extra sergeant will be combining, along with some other handy parts from the command squad box, into a librarian on bike.
I and a few friends have decided to try to post about once a week on our progress on our current modeling projects in order to try to motivate each other to continue on with the stuff we all have sitting around. The final day of the week the posts need to be up by is Sunday; the progress can be minimal and can be as varied as working on a single model or a squad or anything, whether that be painting it, building it, converting it, or whatever, but the idea is to post some progress by Sunday, no matter how small it may be.
You’ve already seen a post by Coolone, so I’ll jump in as well. I’m currently working on a second biker squad I’ve had sitting around for probably 8 months now– bought these Dark Vengeance bikers from eBay and they’ve been waiting for me to free up time after completing my centurions earlier this month.
I’ve been working on adding to my Sternguard a bit as I slowly work my way through the rest of my unpainted models. These guys are using some of the new shades I picked up, specifically the Drakenhoff Nightshade and the Guilliman Blue glaze. The bases along with the weapons, are from Anvil Industry, and I’ve been really happy with them. The bases do a great job of staying put on terrain. I think I’m going to have to pick up a few more of them– these guys are so much more stable than any of my others on standard bases.